Goals & Proffesional Rights
The Hellenic Association of Food Technologists (EL.A.F.T) is the scientific- professional union and a collective body for the Greek Food Technologists of the Unified Third grade Education.
Year of Establishment: 1981
The goals of the EL.A.F.T are:
1. The constant presence and involvement of its members in the technological developments in the whole process of food production.
2. Contribution to the advancement of science and technology in collaboration with other members of the Private or Civil section for the general progress of the country.
3. The study, particularly of the point of achieving the essential level of technological education in Greece aiming at providing service to the real needs of the economy.
4. Development and creation of conditions leading to the healthy nutrition of the Greek people after appropriate and responsible control of the quality and process of the produced food.
5. Co-operation with other scientific and professional unions in order to carry out common programmes and promote common aims.
6. Participation in similar organizations both of the country and abroad which aim at reinforcing the status of Food Technologists and making the best possible use of them.
According to the Newspaper of the Government Page Number 36/72-92 article 1 the professional rights of Food Technologists are:
Based on their specialized scientific- technological knowledge, they work either independently or in co-operation with other scientists on the study- research- application of technology on modern special sections of foods and on the process of preservation- process- quality control of foods.
They can work as employees in the private and civil section according to the current regulations or as employees:
- In the production and quality control of Small industries and Industries, as well as in the Control and Food distribution Services.
- Establishment and running of analysis and food control laboratories.
Involvement in economic-technical studies in order to establish or expand Food Industries.
- Trading – distribution of equipment of Food Small industries- Food Industries and Supplementary material industries.
- As experts in market courts and other courts and in Food control Services for the attestation of the quality and appropriateness of foods.
- Food Technologists can rise throughout the managerial and technical hierarchy of Food small industries – Food industries – Control Services.
- They can be employed as Executives in Companies based on the Legislation which is in force for the operation of these companies each time.
- Food Technologists are employed in education (in all grades) based on the Legislation which is in force each time. They can be employed as members of Research Groups on topics of their expertise.